Till startsida
To content Read more about how we use cookies on gu.se

Permits and visas

In order to study in Sweden, you must have a residence permit. Read more about how to apply for a permit for studies.

Non-European students

Non-European students will usually need a visa/permit in order to enter the Schengen area. The visiting student must be in possession of a valid passport and permit before travel to Sweden.

If you are going to study at a university or university college in Sweden for longer than three months, you must have a residence permit for studies.

Information on what kind of visa that you need is available at the nearest Swedish embassy or from the Swedish Migration Board.

European students

Important change from May 1st, 2014
European students staying more than 3 months in Sweden to study do not need to register their residence at the Migration Board.

Page Manager: Rebecca Törnqvist|Last update: 8/8/2018

The University of Gothenburg uses cookies to provide you with the best possible user experience. By continuing on this website, you approve of our use of cookies.  What are cookies?